Cigarette may have caused fire at Redmon’s

Redmon's

Photo courtesy of Conway Fire Department

Firefighters were able to quickly put out a fire that started on the outside of Redmon’s Candy Factory in Phillipsburg on Tuesday afternoon.

By: 
KELLY MORGAN ◆ KELLY@LEBANONDAILYRECORD.COM

A local landmark was damaged in a fire Tuesdsay, but the owners of the building have already begun the cleanup process.

At about 4:15 on Tuesday, the Conway Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire at Redmon’s Candy Factory in Phillipsburg. According to Conway Fire Chief Fred Savage, fire crews found fire and smoke coming from a corner of the building, and light smoke was coming out of the building’s eaves. According to the Conway Fire Department’s Facebook page, employees had already evacuated the business, and Savage said that the owner was attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose.

The first arriving engine crew from Conway was able to extinguish the visible fire.

The Lebanon Rural Fire Protection District, the Marshfield Fire Department, the Niangua Volunteer Fire Department, the Lebanon City Fire Department and the Bennett Spring Fire Protection District also responded to the fire.

According to Savage, the fire took place in the front right corner of the building, which contains coolers for beverages and other refrigerated items. The store had smoke damage throughout and had minor water damage from the extinguishing of the fire.

The corner of the building also experienced fire damage to the siding, plywood sheeting, and the interior structure of the building.

For the complete article, see the Thursday print edition of The Daily Record, or view the e-Edition online.

Category:

The Laclede County Record

100 E. Commercial St.
Lebanon, MO 65536
(417) 532-9131